Start off right by feeding your pet a high quality, well balanced veterinary recommended kitten diet. We recommend feeding Iams Premium Protection Kitten Diet (dry and canned). This diet was developed by nutritionists and veterinarians to be the optimal diet for your kitten’s nutritional needs. If your kitten is a pure breed, there are special nutritional needs that need to be met. Speak with your veterinarian about these needs to make sure your kitten is getting its optimal diet.
- DHA for brain and vision development
- Two times amount of vitamin E for immune system development
- FOS and beet pulp for healthy digestion
- Optimal ratio of fatty acids for skin and coat
- High protein levels for growth/development
- No additives or artificial colors
Indoor cats lead a tranquil life, therefore they require less energy and protein than outdoor cats.
- It is best to feed your kitten 2-3 times a day at scheduled times.
- Always feed in the same bowl (stainless steel or glass) in the same place to develop good eating habits.
- Always follow feeding guidelines recommended on the bag.
- Do not feed table scraps. This will help avoid problems later in life with obesity and bad habits.
- Always make sure your kitten has access to fresh clean water. You will need to change this often, as kittens tend to play in it. A water fountain is perfect for this. The water fountain stimulates them to drink and they can stay better hydrated. These are readily available at any pet store.
Number of Meals per Day:
- Up to 4 months – feed 3 meals per day
- 4 months and older – feed 2 meals per day (if they don’t finish all the food within 15 mins remove the bowl)
If you have to switch your kitten’s diet, gradually mix the food over a 7-10 day period until your kitten is fully transitioned to the new diet. This will help to avoid any digestive stress and diarrhea.
- Day 1: Feed 75% of old diet, and 25% of new diet.
- Day 2: Feed 75% of old diet, and 25% of new diet.
- Day 3: Feed 50% of old diet, and 50% of new diet.
- Day 4: Feed 50% of old diet, and 50% of new diet.
- Day 5: Feed 25% of old diet, and 75% of new diet.
- Day 6: Feed 25% of old diet, and 75% of new diet.
- Day 7: Feed 100% of new diet.