Other Common Hazards

There are many other common hazards that your pet can run into throughout your home. It is a good idea to keep an eye out for these objects in the home and try to keep them out of the reach of your pets.

Harmful Objects
  • Balls (small or with a smooth coating) Paper clips
  • Batteries Plastic wrap
  • Bread twist ties Socks
  • Coins Rubber bands
  • Cotton swabs Sharp objects (knives, razors, scissors)
  • Glass String, yarn, or dental floss
  • Hair pins Towels
  • Jewelry Wax
  • Nylons

 

Troublesome Household Areas:

  • Balconies and Decks – Tall balconies without safety railings or railings spaced too far apart can lead to a dangerous fall.

  • Bath tubs or Sinks – Small pets can drown in full bathtubs or sinks.

  • Doors and Windows – Pets can run away if they find an open door or window.  They can also get seriously injured if they run across a busy road.  Windows should have screens to prevent pet from falling out.

  • Electrical Cords – Your pets can be electrocuted if they bite or chew on electrical cords that are plugged in.

  • Fireplace – Your pets can be burned by the flames or get sick if they eat the ashes.

  • Toilets – Toilet water is not healthy for pets to drink; always remember to close the lid.  make sure you leave plenty of clean, fresh water for your pets if you must leave them home alone.

  • Washer and Dryer – Your pets can crawl into a washer or dryer without your knowledge; close the doors to these appliances when you’re not using them.

Cautions Outside the Home:

  • Algae – Can be found in ponds or other bodies of water; certain forms can be toxic.

  • Antifreeze/Coolant – These products contain ethylene glycol, which is highly toxic to dogs and cats, even in small amounts.

  • Fire Pit/Grill – Flames can result in serious burns and ashes can cause illness if ingested.

  • Fences/Gates/Deck Lattice – Your pet can run away if they find openings in damaged fences or gates. They also can get hurt or strangled if they get stuck.

  • De-icing Salts – May contain chemicals that are hazardous to pets if ingested in large amounts.  Look for “pet friendly” de-icing salts.

  • Compost – gets moldy and cause your pet to become very ill.

  • Gasoline/Oil/Pesticides – All these products are toxic to your pet and can cause serious illness if contact or ingestion occurs.

  • Swimming Pools/Hot Tubs – Never leave your pet unattended near uncovered pools, even if they can swim

Holiday Hazards

Help your pets enjoy the holidays safely by keeping them away from potential problems on these special days.

   Valentine’s Day

  • Flowers/Candy – Many types of flowers and plants found in bouquets are harmful to dogs and cats if they are ingested.

  • Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and in severe cases, chocolate poisoning can be fatal.

   Easter

  • Fake Grass – This colorful grass may look appetizing to your pets, but it could cause them to choke or obstruct their intestines if ingested.

  • Small Toys and other plastic items – If swallowed, small toys and plastic eggs can cause your pet to choke or even damage their intestinal tracts.

   Fourth of July

  • Fireworks – Fireworks can scare your pets making them run off, or cause serious injuries if detonated near them. Many formulations are also toxic if ingested.

   Halloween

  • Candles – Pets are naturally curious, and may be attracted to the bright lights of the flame in dark areas. Pets could either burn themselves by the flame or knock the candle over, starting a fire.

  • Xylitol – Candy or gum sweetened with xylitol is toxic and should be kept away from your pet.

  • Repeatedly opening doors to greet trick-or-treaters can increase the chances of your pets running out. Keep an eye on their whereabouts at all times.

   Thanksgiving

  • Bones – Turkey, chicken, and other small animal bones are very different from the large bones you find at the pet store. These bones splinter easily and can cause serious internal damage if swallowed. NEVER GIVE YOUR PET BONES!!

   Christmas

  • Holiday Plants – Christmas rose, Holly, Lilies, Poinsettias, and Mistletoe are all toxic to dogs and cats.

  • Ribbons – It may look adorable, but placing a ribbon around your pet’s neck may cause them to choke.

  • Bubbling Lights – Older forms of the attractive decoration may contain methylene chloride, which is a highly toxic chemical.

  • Angel Hair (Spun Glass) – Can be irritating to eyes and skin, and could cause intestinal obstruction if eaten in large amounts.

  • Christmas Tree Water – Stagnant tree water or water containing preservatives could result in stomach upset or intestinal upset if ingested.

  • Decoration Hooks – Can causes blockage and/or trauma to gastrointestinal tract if swallowed.

  • Styrofoam – Can cause your pets to choke if swallowed.

  • Ornaments – These can look like toys to cats and dogs, but they can cause serious injury, especially if your pets break or swallow them.

  • Tinsel – Can cause choking or internal trauma if swallowed.

   New Year’s Eve

  • Balloons and Confetti – These decorations can cause your pets to choke or obstruct their intestines if ingested.

  • Loud noises – New Year’s Eve is typically a noisy holiday. Loud noises can frighten pets and cause them to run off. Keep your pets in a “safe place” during these holidays to keep from startling your pet.